xfs initscript enhancements, take 5

Derek P. Moore derek.moore at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 9 08:07:13 UTC 2003

> +            if ls | grep -iqs "\.tt[cf]$" ; then
> +               # TrueType fonts found, generate fonts.scale and fonts.dir
>                 ttmkfdir -d . -o fonts.scale
>                 mkfontdir . &>/dev/null
>                 [ -e fonts.dir ] && chmod 644 fonts.scale fonts.dir
>              fi
> +            if ls | grep -iqs "\.ot[cf]$" ; then
> +               # Opentype fonts found, generate fonts.scale and fonts.dir
> +               mkfontscale .
> +               mkfontdir . &>/dev/null
> +               [ -e fonts.dir ] && chmod 644 fonts.scale fonts.dir
> +            fi

This script is fine and dandy assuming TTF and OTF fonts are in seperate
directories.  However, if even one OTF file occurs in the same directory as TTF
files, the 'fonts.scale' of 'ttmkfdir' will be overwritten by 'mkfontscale'.
...  Which is fine, I suppose.  If there /really/ is an important difference
between 'ttmkfdir' and 'mkfontscale', it might be useful to be conscious of
this particular "gotcha".

Also...  I think I must not be clued in to something here, but why doesn't this
script have support for PostScript Type 1 fonts?  Don't they need fonts.dir and
fonts.scale files?

Peace out,

Derek