Regarding the Mirror structure and Fedora Legacy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Oct 9 09:04:53 UTC 2003

[This was posted to Red Hat's mirror discussion list during a thread
about the new Fedora mirror structure.  Please do not cross-post replies
as the ramifications of the mirror structure will effect all parties, so
fedora-devel-list is appropriate for this discussion.]

The current discussion between RH people and the interim Fedora Legacy
planning team [1] seems to be that Legacy will not publish packages
within the regular Fedora mirror structure.  Instead both RH and Legacy
want users to consciously change their configurations to point to the
new location when a distribution hits the point of EOL, in order to make
it clear that the packages are coming from a different source than those
officially published and supported by RH the company.

I personally really dislike this as I had hoped that Legacy would simply
publish packages within the same directory, making it easy for the users
and system administrators.  Despite some protests from irrational people
like me, it seems that the distribution system will need to be separate.
  There is already discussion about Pogo Linux supplying the server
infrastructure for Legacy to be hosted somewhere in the Seattle area.

Given the separateness of the repositories, the setup and transition as
well as choosing of mirrors for both regular Fedora and Legacy would be
eased by a theoretical GUI/TUI program that downloads a GPG signed list
of official mirrors, and allows the administrator to choose.  I hope
that we can work on such a program for the future of Fedora.

[1]
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/mailman/listinfo/fedora-legacy-list
Fedora Legacy discussion list

Warren Togami