Gentoo Linux faster app-load than (Mandrake|Fedora)

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Oct 9 12:40:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:33:56AM +0200, Milan Kerslager wrote:
> I'm clear that this test is not fair as there is no same free RAM
> initial condition (and no same apps and components loaded), but still
> feeling that we need to make more for usable desktop (ie. loading time
> is important here).
Interesting experiment would be to have a gentoo system running under Fedora
inside a chroot with just the apps to be benchmarked (so libc,
XFree86 and the app). That would balance the initial conditions at least,
oprofile should explain the reasons for any differences.

That said, I was really surprised how fast OO 1.1 from rawhide
started up (even before it got prelinked) :-)

--
Pekka Pietikainen