Gentoo Linux faster app-load than (Mandrake|Fedora)

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 15:55:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:41:37AM -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
> The purpose of the test wasn't to compare GCC optimizer settings. It was
> to compare Gentoo to Mandrake. Unless I am wrong, the reason Mandrake was
> chosen, is because Mandrake purports to be GCC optimized for the
> Pentium instruction set as well...

Which is not true. Optimizing for Pentium is very stupid thing to do if your
CPU is anything but the aging Pentium.
Mandrake as well as Red Hat and Fedora are all optimized for Pentium Pro and
later CPUs.
Difference between Mdk and RHEL/RHL/FC is that Mdk has most packages shipped
as .i586.rpm (ie. can run just on i586+, optimized for i686) while most
RHEL/RHL/FC packages are .i386.rpm (ie. can run on i386+, optimized for i686).
In reality there is no real difference between -march=i386 and -march=i586 if
-mcpu=i686 is used.

	Jakub