Regarding the Mirror structure and Fedora Legacy

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Thu Oct 9 16:10:58 UTC 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 06:36, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> > The current discussion between RH people and the interim Fedora
> > Legacy planning team [1] seems to be that Legacy will not publish
> > packages within the regular Fedora mirror structure. Instead both
> > RH and Legacy want users to consciously change their configurations
> > to point to the new location when a distribution hits the point of
> > EOL, in order to make it clear that the packages are coming from a
> > different source than those officially published and supported by
> > RH the company.

Thats almost misleading.  My personal request was that while our updates
wouldn't go in the same _directory_ as those provided by Red Hat, we
would have another folder in the tree just for us, so that once the
folder RH controls is no longer populated, our folder would begin to be
populated.  Not sure if this is feasible or agreeable by Red Hat, I'm
still waiting to get on the mirror list.

> Are there lurking trademark issues here as well...with regard to
> using "Fedora" to describe what "legacy" is. I'm not sure if this
> plan for Fedora Legacy, falls within the current Trademark Guidelines
> for the mark "Fedora." Simply put...can it even be called "Fedora
> Legacy" under the currently stated trademark guidelines, if it has a
> separate distribution structure?

I'll bring up the trademark issues today and see if I can't get some
answers.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net