bugzilla & triage : Re: up2date failing dependencies window too big!!!

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Oct 10 08:17:46 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 05:15:57PM -0400 or thereabouts, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:04, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > Unfortunately there are too many bugs in bugzilla that never get
> > fixed.  Any way to open things a bit more so that we dumb users
> > can fix trivial things?
>
> Regarding large numbers of open bugs, I liked Jef Spaleta's proposal of
> a triage system.   Unfortunately, no one commented on his message:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00180.html

I did, but off-list. I do that a lot. I said, roughly, that I
didn't know how much time I had, but that I would like to help;
that the permissions system on the bugzillas I have used is
not very fine-grained; that stock _polite_ and helpful responses
help a lot; and that one advantage Fedora has over Gnome is that
because it's one OS, we would be able to have stock responses
which include things like "run this sequence of commands and
paste in the results".

We can't always do that in Gnome bugzilla. A somewhat contrived
example is that we can't say "you should be able to kill this
runaway process with "killall programname" unless we are very very
sure they are not running Solaris. Similarly, man takes different
arguments on RH and Debian; "partition" seems to mean different
things on Linux and BSD; some Gnome programs live in /opt on
SuSE and so on.

But if it's all fedora-based, then we can say things like
"run script; run lspci -vv; hit control-D; add the resulting
file to your bug" without worrying about whether script and
lspci do something unexpected or live somewhere which is not
on the typical path.

And I think that should make it a lot easier to get people to
do them and add the results.

Telsa