XFree86 spec file for develoment snapshots ?

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Oct 10 18:17:46 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>

>>Over time I've hit a few bugs in Rawhide XFree86 that must be fixed
>>upstream (at least that's what the RH bugzilla entries said). And now
>>that XFree86 maintainers have been gently convinced to provide regular
>>source code snapshots they'd like me to test if they fix my problems.
>>
>>I'm a bit reluctant however to build an unpackaged XFree86 (blame
>>previous encounters) so I'd really like to know if someone has a srpm or
>>a spec file that works with the new XFree86 code drops (you know, like
>>the experimental rpms mozilla.org used to provide).
>

> I currently do not have a 4.3.99.x src.rpm, however I have been
> fairly slowly working on one for about a week.  I don't have a
> lot of time to devote to it for about 2-3 weeks, so while waiting
> for a build to compile and whatnot, I've been test building
> 4.3.99.x on another machine and getting rid of patches one at a
> time that are no longer needed.  The bigger part of the work will
> be forward porting patches that are still needed, and isolating
> small pieces of patches that are mostly unneeded, but which a few
> bits are still needed.

I think he was asking for more of a easy to remove build of the CVS
tree. No RedHat patches. Just what you get if you downloaded and did
make world, but that was then used as an RPM payload. That allows easier
installation, and removal (when it breaks).

Perhaps with a minimal set of patches to fit the Red Hat/Fedora layout.
Not sure ny more, but there used to be some differeces in the XF86 and
Red Hat directory structure. XF86 didn't use /etc/X11/ for everything
Red Hat did. I think font locations too.

This is kind of what the current 2.6 kernels from Arjan do. Alan added a
rpm target to the kerenl somtime back as well, but I think it was more
generic than what Arjan is doing. Several packages include their own
spec file already, but XF86 isn't one of them.

	-Thomas