rhgb-0.10.2-1

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Fri Oct 10 20:48:22 UTC 2003

Kevin Worthington wrote:

>I've been reading about how nice the new graphical boot up looks, so I just installed the latest (to my knowledge) rhgb (rhgb-0.10.2-1) via yum, and changed my runlevel in /etc/inittab to 5. (I usually just ssh in to the box on runlevel 3) The boot process looks very clean and professional. I really like the way it is shaping up. Many newbies will feel comfortable with the look and feel of the graphical boot, rather that the "cold white on black" console mode.
>I have a few suggestions and questions, in order of the boot process (excuse me if some or all of these have been addressed before):
>1. Is it possible to suppress the initial "console-ish" dmesg, before the graphical interface kicks in?
>2. Why is there a pause between the bootup, and the graphical login screen? It seems like X kicks out, and then restarts. It seems a little "un-refined", for lack of better words.
>3. Now that there is a nice looking boot up process, what about a nice shutdown process? Are there any plans to make the shutdown/reboot look as nice as the graphical boot up? Would anybody else be interested in something like this?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>-Kev
>---
>Kevin Worthington - <kworthington (at) linuxmail {dot} org>
>Faithful Red Hat Linux user since April 1998
>Registered Linux User #218689 - http://counter.li.org

There's a kernel patch for a bootsplash screen available on the
internet.  (bootsplash.org)  I sent a modification of it for
kernel-2.4.22 to the kernel people at Red Hat, but they seem divided
about whether or not to put it in.  This patch would put a full-screen
JPG on the screen instead of the normal b/w console input, starting
before the kernel puts a word on the screen.  There's also a command
line utility which could easily be used to put in a shutdown screen.
And also it can bypassed with F2 key.  I've got it working on my box,
but the graphics I have are nothing more than the generic Linux
penguin.  If anyone wants help about how to get it to work, just email
jason at geshp.com.

Jason Luka