Fedora and RedHat's autism toward personal users

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Oct 12 20:19:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 16:40, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Probably because RedHat thought that personal users wouldn't buy
> support it has ever tended to neglect them: let's remember
> the good old times where RedHat ignored dial-up users and assumed
> everyone was on Ethernet. :-)

One suggestion in getting anywhere is to lay off the negativity.  Your
mail did not make me want to read much in the rest of it, but I pressed
on still.

> Since Fedora is a community project and doesn't have the same
> constraints than RedHat (make PAYING users happy or bankrupt) I
> think it would be time to pay more attention to personal users
> through solving their specific problems (see above) and with a sexier,
> funnier software selection.  One of this would be Blender.   Also take
> a look at what is included in Mandrake

Blender isn't very sexy UI-wise and hard to integrate desktop-wise.

> BTW I am NOT for advocating for including every piece of cr.p, like
> Debian does (in an ideal world Feddora would include only one program
> for a task: the best one, in real world it is more complex) and I am
> quite conscious that it is not possible to cover every need in world.

Your actual help will get all of us quite far along.  Start with specific bits to work on, it will
get us there quicker :)

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
Cos I feel like a fake when I feel