RPM problem: prereq: <file> not honored in upgrade ordering?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Oct 15 12:49:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
> > .. I upgraded between RHL72 and RHL73 using autoupdate, and the
> > updating of RPM's is done basically by 'rpm -Uvh <long list of RPMs>'.
>
> done basically. by ...or done exactly by. I'm a bit suspicious that the
> problem lies with the perl script autoupdate and not necessarily
> rpm...

Basically, yes.  Precisely, it calls 'rpm -Uvh --nodeps' on all packages
if 'rpm --test -U' on those packages was successful (I don't know why
nodeps in that case), otherwise it calls just 'rpm -U'.  I don't recall
which was done in this particular case.

> but you could certainly test whether its a problem with rpm.

I did not see wrong reordering (but in all fairness, the autoupdate was
250+ packets, I just tested the bare minimum of 4 here), at least
outright, but the fundamental problem still persisted. (The next message
in the thread.)

> If you can rollback the changes you made then place the updates you did
> in a local directory then do rpm -Uvh or -Fvh on that local
> directory..without using autoUpdate...you should be able to determine if
> it is in fact a problem with rpm.

Well, yes, I can easily see the main problem, alternatives not being able
to run in sendmail's %post, with plain rpm as well.

> But even if you do determine it is a bug in rpm....the version of rpm
> might not be so relevant to the current version in the fedora test
> releases :->.

I haven't tried to simulate this.