Wlan problem and enterprise wlan needs

Hemgren, Christer Christer.Hemgren at axfood.se
Wed Oct 15 21:04:48 UTC 2003

Hello

 I 'm using the "Severn Beta 2 (i386)" updated 13 Oct on a Compaq laptop and
are very pleased with it, but i have problem with the PCMCIA wlan cards.
It's got broken after a up2date. I can use the Cisco aironet 350 as i hade
one the install moment but when i shift to "PRISMA2" chipset card Netgear
MA401, it don't work. Kudzu finds it.
The "Netgear MA401" work to associate with the CISCO AP1200 before it got
broken using

iwconfig eth2 essid "secret"

But the Cisco aironet 350 card don't associate using iwconfig, only if it is
a broadcasted ssid (by a sheep 3Com AP at home)!!!!  strange!!!
I think the aironet driver works strange in enterprise wlan using EAP. Are
the driver not up to date?

I regally shift wlan card  between aironet and the "PRISMA2" card but after
one up2date it stop working for the "PRISMA2" card but i don't now if it was
a kernel or other .rpm package broke it or even when for the matter. I thing
it is a problem with the module.
Both cards works in M$ XP.

Should i go for the new beta to see if there is updates or update this one?

I have try Arjan's "2.6 test7.1.56.rpm" kernel and in that no wlan card or
USB mouse works.

I'm still missing some wlan stuff like Xsupplicant from
<http://www.open1x.org/> http://www.open1x.org/ for secure wlan login using
802.1x (most have in enterprise network) and
a wlan profile manager like Kwifimanager from
<http://kwifimanager.sourceforge.net/> http://kwifimanager.sourceforge.net/
so i can have two ore more profiles and change fast from one to another.

Great work guys.

 tanks

Christer Hemgren
Network Admin/Engineer