RPM problem: prereq: <file> not honored in upgrade ordering?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Oct 16 12:40:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:
[...]
> Btw. I looked at rpm source and it looks like nodeps does not change the
> package ordering.  You have to use a separate toggle, --noorder, to do
> that.  So, if you are certain all of your deps are included. nodeps should
> not do harm (I would still not use it though).  Package upgrade with the 4
> RPMs with --nodeps *seems to* confirm this theory.
>
> If jbj is listening, it would be nice to get an ACK/NACK on this..

FYI,

I discussed this with Jeff, and he said that currently --nodeps implies
--noorder for performance reasons.  This change has been active for around
a year at least, but whether it affects RPM 4.0.4 (used here) was a
question mark.  In any case, the situation with --nodeps is not better, at
least, with Fedora :-)

So, I'd even more strongly recommend against using --nodeps because its
new implication has quite severe implications with a large set of
interdependent packages.

But the core problem exists regardless of --nodeps, and I believe the
original reordering problem also exists without nodeps (but that would
have to be confirmed).

Jeff's initial guess about the problem was the way Alternatives
requirement is used, as a file requirement (doesn't really work in every
case) rather than a package.