rsync and rawhide

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Oct 17 14:20:27 UTC 2003

Now that the fedora process is opening up development a bit more, I suspect
more people are frequently downloading rawhide. Has there been any thought
about making it available usably over rsync?

The current drawback to using rsync is that what's posted to rawhide are
packages, and package names change so rsync can't find the preexisting
similar bits. Consider, just to pick one example, unixODBC. Yesterday,
unixODBC-2.2.5-8 was pushed to rawhide. Today, unixODBC-2.2.5-9 was pushed.
The only difference between the two is that in -9 Fernando tweaked ~4 lines
of text in /etc/odbcinst.ini, yet to get that I have to download the whole
thing again b/c rsync sees them as different files and therefore doesn't
compare them....

One way to make rsync work with rawhide would be to autogenerate isos (not
full working isos which can be booted off of and such, just the RPMs) on a
daily basis, then to use the hardlinks script that the RH mirrors often use
to explode the contents off of loopback-mounted isos. People could then just
rsync ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/iso/daily.iso and save some
bandwidth on both sides....

Thoughts? Is this feasible on the RH side? Of interest to anyone else on the
client side?

later,
chris