Question about kernel updates

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Oct 17 19:38:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 15:29, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> I saw this changelog in the rawhide build file of today.
>

> > kernel-2.4.22-1.2096.nptl
> > -------------------------
> > * Tue Oct 14 2003 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> >
> > - More merges from 2.4.23pre
> >

> Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just curious: why does RedHat (and also
> other distro providers) do this? Why don't they just ship the official
> 2.4.22 kernel and just wait until the 2.4.23 kernel gets released?
> It's probably due to the fact that the RedHat Linux kernel is a modified
> version (a fork) of the official kernel. But is this forking/merging
> worth the effort? It takes quite some time to do all this and also there
> is a possibility to introduce extra bugs.
>
> Wouldn't it be better for RedHat if  RedHat just sends the patches to
> Linus and company, and just accept the fact that they maybe don't accepted?

They're using accepted patches - that what merges from 2.4.23pre *are*.
Red Hat also has some talented kernel hackers on board that develop
their own patches to fill specific needs.

Red hat and other distros provides patched kernels because, simply,
stock kernels aren't good enough.  They aren't released quick enough for
the feature addition/bug-fixes a distro needs, they don't often have the
features the distro wants to provide, etc.  If you read the kernel list,
you'll even notice Linus and others rather encourage distro
customization versus trying to get everything in the main line kernel.
;-)

> Thanks
>
> Jaap
>

> --