Better packaging for older hardware?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Oct 18 08:43:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 03:14:07 at 03:14:07AM -0400, Tom Diehl (tdiehl at rogueind.com) wrote:

> > almost transparent to power end users: they would continue to
> > install/update as usual "kde desktop", "gnome desktop", and so on,
> > without ever noticing what happened below.
>
> IMHO it is bloat. I thought the idea was to reduce the size of FC. See below.

The kernel is a special case, I agree, and it is not really the most
important things. Proper packages are. Why do you think the
repackaging I suggest would be against reducing the size of FC (Fedora
Core, right? Sorry, I just came in...)? Which size do you refer to?

byte size would increase little or nothing: I'm proposing to make 10
packages of 1 MB instead of 1 of 10 MB (very rough approximation, I
agree)

Pure *Number* of binary packages: that would increase a lot, yes, but
not the complexity or maintenance effort. If you keep the same source
kdebase RPM you have today (one only) and modify the spec file so that
it creates kde_app1.rpm, kde_app2.rpm, etc... you still have *one*
code base: you apply patches to that one, and packages are rebuilt
automatically.  Please let me know if and why this is not possible.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Furious activity is no substitute for understanding. --  H.H. Williams