Gnome System Tools toughts

Jaap A. Haitsma jaap_haitsma at zonnet.nl
Sun Oct 19 15:53:53 UTC 2003

Hi,

I came across the announcement of a new version of Gnome System Tools (a
project lead by Ximian) a few days ago. They resemble the redhat config
tools quite a bit, though they have only have 5 tools up to now (not
really production ready according to the website but still)

# Users and groups
# Date and time
# Network configuration
# Bootloaders
# Runlevels

See: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/index.html
The nice thing is that the front end (The GUI) is distribution
independent and the backend (configuration files etc.) are distribution
dependent.

Just some thoughts/questions.

Wouldn't it be better for RedHat, SuSE, Debian etc. to just join this
effort. It's a lot more effective then every distro provider making
their own tools. (I see that there's maybe an issue for KDE users)

Are there any initiatives to have a standard of configuration files,
which are used by all providers. I heard of LSB, but it seems to me they
  do not standardise configuration files.

Jaap