rawhide report: 20031021 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 12:24:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Balint Cristian wrote:

>> Again, just a suggestion...   What do others in the community
>> think about the idea?
>
>As Mike suggested,
>
>I would be _more_ nice to show only changelog since previous
>package not the whole changelog, for me is an effort to keep my
>eye on screen to find what is the "package-name" and what is the
>"changelog" ... from the kilometric e-mail, plus probably other
>people not too happy about huge mails ...

Agreed.  I saw anaconda changes, and I don't much care to read
them, especially since it was so lengthy.  I had trouble trying
to find the start of the next package.  I'd love to overview what
is changing in the distro via the rawhide changes reports, but
not if it takes me 10 minutes to review.  ;o)

>More suggestions:
>
>And would be more nice to see colored highlight (red coloured
>aka "redhat" for e.g :) ) of package-name and in rest changelog
>to be normal black eventualy the changelog "date" numbers to be
>grey, but that implies html mail instead of text mail.

That is best suited for a web page, not for email.  Email doesn't
have colour, it's just text - unless you use HTML, and HTML is
considered a sin.  I filter HTML email to /dev/null except for
specially crafted procmail rules for common emails in which I
consider HTML ok (very few cases).

IMHO, text email with the proposed changes, plus a URL that links
to a colourized fancier version on fedora.redhat.com would be
great!