Open Music in Fedora Core?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Oct 26 22:34:09 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 16:39:11 at 04:39:11PM -0500, Trae McCombs (occy at occy.net) wrote:
> Hi again gang...
>
> I have an interesting idea.  What if we included an "Open Music" item on
> the FC desktop?
>
> Including songs from Open Artist:
> You could directly include a handful of songs from Open Artist into the
> Fedora Core distro.

What do you mean by handful?  a full music collection?
This increases the distro size, unless you put it all on a separate
ISO. Mixing it in the distro could also create problems like "we will
not use/mirror stuff with songs offending our sensibility, religion,
customs and what not" in some places. IIRC, one of the reasons to
remove the fortune package was to stop complaints from people seeing
(perceived or real) obscenities on their desktop.

[snip]
> Another nice thing is that it would allow people to see that yes, you
> can have music on your Linux desktop.

This can also be accomplished with entries like "CD/MP3/OGG player"
and such in the menus. Mixing music collections straight into the
product is one of the surest ways to guarantee that it is banned from
any office desktop.

Of course, including just some database of pointers to online
resources, or 2/3 samples, not more, wouldn't hurt at all.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you
                Eric S. Raymond, "The Cathedral and the bazaar", chapter 2