yum.conf shipped with 1.0

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Oct 28 06:23:02 UTC 2003

Michael A. Koziarski wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> will the yum.conf shipped with Fedora Core 1.0 include entries for
> fedora.us?  I think it's a good first step to introducing users to the
> idea of using yum repositories to get software.

In theory I would agree with you, but there are several large obstacles
that hinder this, the main being too much bandwidth usage for the mirror
pointed by the default yum.conf.  There there were a GUI/TUI mirror
selection tool that people were forced to use prior to their first yum,
that wouldn't be a problem.

There are other large obstacles, but I will let the others speak of them.

For now, I would highly advise spreading word of fedora.us repositories
and other helpful 3rd party repositories.  Our tools and infrastructure
are not ready for the entire world.

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraMirrorList
While on the subject, if you currently use download.fedora.us, please
change your apt/yum configuration and choose a nearer mirror.  I *know*
there are closer mirrors to everybody than Hawaii.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com