yum.conf shipped with 1.0

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 17:36:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 05:07:11AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > For now, I would highly advise spreading word of fedora.us repositories
> > and other helpful 3rd party repositories.  Our tools and infrastructure
> > are not ready for the entire world.
>
> I'm still pondering whether yum is only half of the answer or whether an
> infrastructure built around bt would be better. Something like
>

> 	update-daemon	queries DNS to get a TXT value to the 'current'
> 			bittorrent seed set (DNS is a nice scalable
> 			mechanism to distribute the regularly queried info)
>
> 			Use bt to sync the seed set and get an archive of
> 			current .hdr files, using the old one as the start
> 			point.

  Hum, do you suggest having all the .hdr on all the clients ? That sounds
excessive to me. If not, then that mean that you would need a set of seeds,
and considering the size of a .hdr and how bittorrent only really work well
for large content (isn't the base BitTorrent chunk 1MByte ?) I don't
really see how BT really fit the bill. But this looks good for repositories
(except they would not limit themselves to the headers but the full packages).
Another point is that the repository metadata evolves gradually, I am not sure
BitTorrent act on a versionned or delta way when operating on a set, probably
but I wonder how this would interfere with the change of the seed.

Daniel