Run prelink and other stuff not in cron but when screensaver is active.

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 11:09:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:58:23AM +0000, P at draigBrady.com wrote:
> Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:26:55PM +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> >
> >>I sometime get a bit frustrated that a cron job starts while I'm
> >>working. Wouldn't it be nicer that this stuff would run when I'm not
> >>doing any work. I.e. when the screensaver is active. Maybe as a minor
> >>enhancement when the screensaver is active and there is not a process
> >>asking for cpu power /disk access. Sometimes I'm running compiling jobs
> >>which take quite a while.
> >

> > Several things.
> >
> > 1. anacron(8)
> > 2. batch(1)
> > 3. nice(1) and renice(8)

/etc/cron.daily/prelink
starts with renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1

I totally agree with Roland, this should be solved in cron. When a new
category for run daily when the system is most idle or something like
that is added, I'll certainly move prelink to that category.
(and slocate.cron should fall in exactly the same category).

But, even current prelink cron job, if there are no changes
on the system it shouldn't do too many disk accesses nor take much CPU time.

	Jakub