xmms release number

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Oct 1 07:10:20 UTC 2003

Quoting seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:

> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 23:27, Dan Young wrote:
> > Havoc Pennington said:
> > >
> > > That's what I'd like to see. Maybe even a requirement that all "end
> > > user visible" packages be in a comps file.
> >
> > What relation (if any) does /usr/share/doc/rpm-<version>/GROUPS have
> > here? Is this maintained seperately, being part of the rpm package
> > instead of comps?
>
> I believe the only thing that really uses those groups anymore is
> rpmlint.

Synaptic uses (rpm) groups to organize the package tree view - typos in rpm
groups show up really nicely there :) Things like

Application/Multimedia
    + somedvdplayer
Applications/Multimedia
    + multimediaplayer1
    + multimediaplayer2
    + ..etc

> They have almost no meaning and there isn't enough depth or breadth to
> let them be a good classifier, imo.

Yup, many packages don't have a real match in the "official" rpm group list at
all and others could be put into one of several groups, typically things like
python modules: is this System Environment/Libraries, Development/Libraries or
Development/Languages .. when it fits to all of those.

--
    - Panu -