Network nirvana [Re: Since Fedora is not aimed at enterpise/business ..]

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 1 16:40:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:22, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 11:43, Dax Kelson wrote:
>
> > The nirvana Linux network setup includes the following:
> >
> > * LDAP directory
> > * Kerberos Authentication
> > * Autofs for home directories
> > * Kerberized NFSv4
>
> Thought question ... most of the above is present currently
> but takes a real expert to get going.
>
> What needs to be done to make it possible so that, given say,
> a network of 50 workstations, someone who has never done
> it before could get such a network going in a day?
>
> This almost certainly includes
>
>  - Documentation
>  - GUI setup and management tools (*)
>  - Better configuration defaults
>
> It also might involve
>
>  - Making things that require configuration currently
>    "just work" though automatic detection.
>
> Not a question that really matters for large deployments, that
> *do* have experts, but quite important in other situations.

Actually it may be a question for very large deployments where people
have a large XP/2000 crowd running kerberos underneath AD and not
knowing much about it.

I dont know the answer myself yet. It needs to be done as it is on my
list of things to learn this fiscal year.. and once I have caught up
with that.. I might be able to help.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645