Network nirvana [Re: Since Fedora is not aimed at enterpise/business ..]

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 18:26:29 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:36, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> > In reading Dax's email (and personally knowing Dax to be a "real
> > expert"), I had the same thought.  I'd love to learn how to set this all
> > up in a day.  Even two or three days would be worth it.
> >
> > Anybody willing to contribute a "Quick and Dirty Guide to Network
> > Nirvana in Three Days or Less"?  Maybe just pointers to existing
> > documentation?  Places to start?  Things to watch out for?  Known
> > gotchas?
>
> I think it's unrealistic to do that in a day if you aren't an expert. At
> best, it'd be by rote instructions. Any variance would send you spiraling
> into a weeks worth of troubleshooting (which IMHO is excellent practice).
> I'm always happy to let our junior sysadmins go down those trails, but
> time sensitive projects require experience.

That may be the case currently, but why does it have to be that
way? What we are talking about is fundamentally pretty simple:

 - Central user database
 - Single sign-on passwords
 - Secure network exported home dirs

I don't see why that has to be something that's going to take weeks
or years of experience to know how to set up and get right. If we
make the basics just work, then the experts can use their expertise
to do more interesting things.

Regards,
						Owen