Since Fedora is not aimed at enterpise/business ..

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 19:11:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:54, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Does this mean we can now stop requiring kerberos in everything that can
> have it required? I submit that the vast majority of Fedora target
> "market"will not ever need krb in Fedora. Can we please make this
> change? In the past the answer has always been "well enterprises and
> medium sized businesses may need it". Well, they can buy RHEL now.
>
> Please let Fedora Core return to the non
> massive-network-might-need-any-and-all-auth-options-so-we-build-them-all-in days.

My view is the opposite, we need to be making single sign on more
pervasive and more "just working"; it's an essential part of easy-to-use
secure-out-of-the-box.

_All_ apps that do authentication should work with Kerberos, out of the
box. Mail clients, IMAP server, LDAP server, printing, Nautilus doing
file transfer, thin client setup, X remote display, everything.

Or if not Kerberos then some other equivalent technology, but Kerberos
seems like the obvious choice. Pick one thing and make it work well and
work everywhere.

Havoc