Mozilla icons [was: Open Office 1.1 suggestion]

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Oct 4 15:32:48 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 02:52, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> It would be nice if everything would rely on htmlview.  I even
> mean the Browser icon on the panel, so that changing to epiphany
> in /etc/htmlview.conf would do the switch.

htmlview is IMHO a horrible hackaround for the problem of not having a
common MIME association system for all the apps. Are we going to have
"officeview", "mediaplayerview", "pdfview", etc. with separate
/etc/fooview.conf for each? It's just an unscalable broken hack.

I believe the reason we dropped htmlview and go straight to mozilla in
many places was that we couldn't get a .desktop file right for htmlview.
StartupNotify=????, Name=?????, you can't fill it out properly.

The light is at the end of the tunnel; I have to hope we'll have a
common MIME associations system in the next 6 months, there's some
motion there.

Havoc