Kind request: fix your packages

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Oct 4 16:19:27 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 09:11, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Dear user,
>
> 	As we all know you're dumb and you can not learn to use a package
> manager ever. To ease your pain we've decided not to inflict you the
> so-called "dependency hell" and provide you an autonomous application.
> Just click on its auto-update menu and it will download everything you
> need, we swear it.

*bzzt*  It has *nothing* to do with users being "dumb."  *nothing*  It
has to do with the fact the user doesn't care, doesn't need to care, and
shouldn't be forced to care.  I don't have a fricken clue how a jet
engine works, don't really care how it works, but that doesn't mean I'm
not allowed to fly on a plane.  Indeed, the usage of an airplane is
completely independent of knowing how the engine works, including the
pilots.

Computers aren't any different.  There is no reason a user should *have*
to understand the inner workings of it.  That doesn't mean they *can't*
know it, only that they don't need to.

Don't confuse those two ideas.

> 	To help you keep up with updates we've thoughtfully provided a "time to
> update" popup that will remind you every few weeks you need to keep up
> with us. To avoid any misunderstanding we designed it to be completely
> different from the swarm of update popups you deal with every day.

Red Hat/Fedora offers the up2date applet, which does just this, and is a
good thing.  ^,^

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.