alpha architecture

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Sat Oct 4 18:44:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:16, Jim wrote:
> I have the HP edition of RH7.2 installed on a 21164 533Mhz pc164lx.  All
> is well with the system and I have had no problems except that there are
> no software updates/upgrades to the latest versions of applications I need
> such as postgresql/php/apache/ssl etc.  Then I ran across the Fedora
> project and noticed that the latest alpha rpm's for these applications
> were availible for download.  The problem is that they don't work on the
> 7.2 release and rpm -Uvh for the packages I need give me countless failed
> deps as I expected they would.  Will there be an upcomming alpha iso
> release for the latest redhat version?  If not, I would like to port
> an updated rh release for the alpha architecture.  If any one is doing
> this already or if anybody needs help doing this I'd be pleased to help
> out.  If someone is already doing this could you please point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy Green

God how I wish so, I have the hardware, but not the knowledge. I have a
working Dual 667Mhz UP2000 (ev67), a Dual 533Mhz AS1200 (ev6), a
Personal Workstation 500au (ev5, iirc), a Single 533 SX164 (pca56) and
even a functional 233 Multia (ev4). Back when Red Hat had an Alpha
distribution, I used to support it. But I am not a developer. If you
ever do get an Alpha project going, I can test it on a bunch of
hardware. Right now I only run the UP2000 on a day-to-day basis.

I have not been able to build a working Alpha kernel in a long time. I
however won't have time to look at this again until 2004. I'll be in
Manila, Philippines from next Saturday until Dec.15, and won't really be
home until after the holidays.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.