Kind request: Set release version to "10"

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 6 08:50:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:19:08PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> A few observations: In your repository I don't see a consistent
> platform specific release tag scheme.

check the dates and the discussion on fedora.us in March/April (yes, I
was once a fedora member).

The fact is that there still is no versioning scheme one can rely
upon. The scheme we discussed with fedora.us in March/April is now
broken.

The main issue is, that RH need to come up with a consistent scheme
(not only for fedora but also including fedora legacy), or bless an
existing one.

Currently there is no schem that will work:
o either the upgrade paths are broken, e.g. rh9 -> fc1/fdr1
o or rpm bugs are triggered, e.g. rhXX -> numbers
o Red Hat policy is violated, e.g. rh9 -> rh10

I understand RH's marketing and company policy, I won't join the "free
beer" group, but I would like the policy to not spoil technical
issues.

> > What about Fedora Legacy, should part of it be distro-tagged and
> > some not (like your example above)?
>
> I haven't seen any work on guidelines for Fedora Legacy yet.

This thread _is_ about Fedora Lagacy ... ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de