Kind request: fix your packages

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 21:06:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jef Spaleta wrote:

>Isn't my little store bought cable modem/router with a webinterface a
>computer?

Yes.

>I use it all the time without actually downloading and
>installing any sort of software on it. I think your definition
>of "use" and "user" is overly broad and is itself a sort of
>misplaced analogy.

Hrm..  I'd have to disagree with you there..  My router
"appliance" is a Linksys WRT54g wireless 802.11g router.  Under
the hood (much to my unsuspecting surprise when I found out) was
a MIPS compatible CPU running Linux kernel 2.4.5, and a
minimalish userland running out of cramfs with flash.  I've used
the hacking instructions found at the following URL to "enhance"
it:  http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g

Using the information on that page, along with some homebrew
hacks spawned from the ideas contained there, I, as a "user" of
that product, have updated the DHCP server to be more useable,
enhanced the firewall to be more useful, and made numerous other
tweaks, such as installing an ssh server to allow me to ssh to
the thing.  Now all I need to do is get XFree86 compiled for
MIPS, and figure out how to wire a Radeon 9000 up to the thing,
and I'm all set.  ;o)