Does the freeworld repository exist yet?

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Wed Oct 8 11:43:22 UTC 2003

Warren Togami wrote :

> And yes I am completely serious about annoying pop-up windows.  TRY the
> libdvdcss contained in the linked Bugzilla report above.

I've not tried it, but how does it react if used from the console with no
X? Say for instance when used through transcode? I'm not convinced "dummy"
libraries are a good answer to legal problems anyway.

> The the American user would then be legally powerless to do anything,
> but those living in other countries where it is not illegal could
> possibly replace the real library if the package exists.
>
> Being a patriotic and law abiding American, it would be treasonous to my
> country's corporate interests to point to such a theoretical repository.

If you start thinking that way, then free software in general is something
bad for the US's corporate (financial) interests. Microsoft has the
quasi-monopoly worldwide in the Operating System field, and market shares
"lost" towards free software often means less money leaving foreign
countries to go back to the US, because of local developers, distributors,
support...

> God bless America and everything it stands for.  I love this country.
> Don't you?

I don't know about Nils (who seems to be Norwegian), to whom you asked
this, but I know I sure don't love America. And I also don't believe in
God, so I guess I wouldn't make a good patriot anyhow.

Getting too much off-topic I guess. Still, if I were American but with the
European mentality I have, I'd be doing all that is possible to fight
against the DMCA, software patents, and all their abuses.

Matthias

Raw Hide 20031007 - Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 0.17 0.17 0.14