rhgb-0.10.2-1

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Oct 11 20:38:42 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Julien Olivier wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 02:58, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > > Boot with 'quiet'.
> >
> > I know this is too windowsish, but it would be nice if the kernel
> > would boot quietly if there have been a clean shutdown.  I don't
> > know how to implement this cleanly yet, as if we get a panic, no
> > one has removed the flag and it would boot quiet again...
> >

> Hmmm... I think the best way to handle that would be to put a flag when
> the computer has started cleanly and remove it when it has be shut down
> cleanly. This, way, if it kernel-panics or crashes, the flag is still
> there.

I guess you misunderstood what I meant.  I cannot see how you can
handle the panics when you have no write access anywhere.  The
clean way to handle this is to have a bios register for that,
which OS and BIOS can interact and they both would skip most
diagnostics if everything is find.  MS has published such a spec,
called Simple Boot Flag Spec v2., it's one of those patented ones
I guess.  Man in a few years they would patent the concept of a
"variable"...

Lets wait for bios designers to implement that...

behdad,