GCC-3.3 and OO.org

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Mon Oct 13 18:10:26 UTC 2003

Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OOo 1.1 packages shipped from Red Hat ship with Java support disabled,
> since Red Hat does not ship the Sun JDK or JRE.  I use patches from the
> Debian project to accomplish this.  Most anything relating to Java in
> OOo (ie DocBook XML filters, JDBC support, etc) will not work as
> expected.

I'm not sure what parts of OO.org need java, but I wasn't talkingabout
JDBC in linux.

> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 15:19, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>>far. I'm having some trouble with ODBC/MySQL though I see the same
>>problem in Solaris with the OO.org build.
>>
>>Interesting I don't have problems using JDBC in Solaris (other than
>>speed :( ) or ODBC in Win98 and Excel (97 I think).
>>Time to get back on the OO.org lists...

Notice MySQL+ODBC is problematic on Solaris too.
This is with an OO.org build and Sun's JVM configured.
The Solaris setup works fine with JDBC, but not ODBC.

In linux, using the FC build of OOo1.1, I'm having trouble with
MySQL+ODBC as well. I haven't tried JDBC yet.

Win98+Excel97+ODBC+MySQL works fine though. I think I'll try OOo1.1 on
Win98 to see if it's OOo1.1 + ODBC or the unixODBC+MySQL combination.

Strange thing is, ODBC appears to be OK. Using isql, everything
functions fine.

I'm wondering if what the real difference in using ODBC in OOo and the
MySQL driver is. Both appear to to use ODBC and odbc.ini to locate the data.

The problem on Solaris is speed. Using JDBC takes for ever. The
mysql:odbc driver takes a long time to fail, same for just using odbc
the odbc interface. Win98+Excel+ODBC (SunPCI card w/ K6 and 64MB ram) is
much faster.

I did some testing while writing this. Now I can use the datasources in
linux. I just have to setup queries, and use them. Either ODBC or MySQL
works this way. But I still cannot select a table in the data sources
veiw and see the columns in a give table. It is faster than Solaris though.

	-Thomas