[RFC] Better font filetype and metadata file detection for xfs initscript

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Tue Oct 14 15:38:14 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>

>>>So am I, but any time something changes, I can't contact n random
>>>developers and tell them what chagnes to incorporate into their
>>>packages very easily, and if I make a document and put it
>>>somewhere, I have no guarantee anyone will read it.  I've direct
>>
>>You did what you could. It's up to the otheres to do their part.
>>Post the doc, add it to the XF86 rpms with a link to the current
>>version. After that it's up to others to follow.
>>Just like when any other developer changes a system used by others.
>>I cna tell you it's changed, but cannot force you to change.
>>(I still miss the XF86 setup tools. I usually build them myself though.
>>If someone wrote secondary config tool that required the XF86 versions,
>>it's not your job to fix it. They were told to change, it's up to them
>>to do so.)
>

> The XFree86 supplied config tools are gone for 2 main reasons:

Not that I was arguing (again) for their inclusion :)

The point being, somone could use the XF86 tools as part of YAXCT
(yet another X config tool). No that RHL/RHEL/FC don't include them
their app would break.

It's not your responsibility, as Red Hat X maintainer, to fix their tool
is it? You wouldn't keep the XF86 stuff around for it, would you? No,
you said it was going away, then it went away. It's up to them to fix
their app, either integrate the XF86 parts, or modify the too to use the
new Red Hat parts.

> 2) In many cases, people use them simply because they don't know
Those are the tools mentioned in the documentation for XF86 though.

>>Sounds like the fonts need fixed. The Type1 and TTF version should look
>>the same (within the limits of the format). In the above, the Luxi TTF
>>should be fixed, possibly removed untill it is fixed.
>

> The Luxi TTF font isn't broken, so it can't be fixed.  The Type1
> font looks nicer because the Type1 font rendering technology
> isn't hindered by alleged patents like truetype rendering is.
> Also, I'm not sure if Luxi even has hints in it, and wether or
> not they're decent.

Since I don't use either of them, I wouldn't know. Sounds like another
example of "the evils of software patents".

> I can disable the Luxi TTF font if Owen and others think that's a
> good idea.  I think keeping it out of fontconfig should be
> adequate though more or less.

I'd never know it was missing. I never use more than Helvetica, Times,
Courier, and occasionaly Zapf Chancery:) The new Bitstream Vera fonts
looked OK in OO.org, but I stuck with what I like...

	-Thomas