Japanese Font Antialiasing - Where did it go?

Matt Jones mattharrison at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 15 01:00:16 UTC 2003

Hi - I just noticed that the font antialiasing seems to have stopped
working for Japanese fonts. Admittedly, I haven't been using japanese on
rawhide for about 3 weeks, but I have no clue what's going wrong.

When i run LANG=ja_JP gedit i get nasty non-antialiased text, which used
to not happen. Glancing at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, I see some comment
about disabling antialiasing for korean, japanese and chinese fonts, yet
when I re-enable (change a false to a true) it via that xml file,
nothing changes.

I've recently installed some new fonts, but none should affect japanese
language support (all dealing with Mathematica 5).

Does any one else get this problem (if thats what it is) - you can run
'LANG=ja_JP gedit' if you have ja fonts installed to check - and has
anyone figured out what's going on?

Matt Jones