rawhide report: 20031021 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 11:35:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Build System wrote:

>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:03:49 -0400
>From: Build System <buildsys at redhat.com>
>To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>Subject: rawhide report: 20031021 changes
[SNIP]

Just a suggestion....   These emails are useful, but they could
be greatly improved upon IMHO.  It appears that when a package
gets updated, it's complete changelog, or a large portion of it
gets sent out in the emails, the majority of which is ancient
information from as far back as 1999, which only blurs the actual
useful information of what has changed.  I suggest that the
changelogs are trimmed to only include the relevant changes since
the last rawhide push, or if that's too difficult to implement,
just include the last 2-4 changelog entries so that the most
relevant and recent changes are shown only.

Also, it is hard when scanning through the emails to visually
spot where one package's changes begin and another ends.  I
recommend putting a single line of "###################"
characters between each package changelog to provide a visual cue
to allow people to more easily scan through the emails and find
the information that might be useful to them.

If XFree86's changelog got posted verbatim in these emails, some
people's MTAs would probably reject the email based on size
alone.  ;o)   I don't think anyone is interested in bugs Bero
fixed in XFree86 back in 1999 for example.  ;o)

Again, just a suggestion...   What do others in the community
think about the idea?