Packages RFC

George Garvey tmwg-fedorad at inxservices.com
Mon Oct 27 00:38:45 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 06:38:25PM -0500, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 18:11, George Garvey wrote:
> > Will Postfix handle qmail's hyphenated delivery? I personally have too
> > many mailing lists using that feature right now. Don't want the work of
> > switching them all over to something else.
>
> What is hyphenated delivery?  I googled and didn't find anything that
> seemed to make sense.  (Feel free to point me to the FM.)
>
> I know that postfix can be configured to support things like
> jeremyp+fedora at example.com, and then deliver to the "jeremyp" mailbox so
> that you can sort on the To: line.  Is that what you mean?

More or less. qmail does it with hyphens. See my from address. Believe
qmail actually calls them "extension addresses." Had to look that up.
Wouldn't be surprised that Postfix did it, but differently. Maybe there's
compatibility in there samewhere. Will look into that when have time.

All of this is pretty irrelevant. Don't expect Fedora or Redhat to ever
support qmail, and can certainly understand not doing it. At the time qmail
was started here, it was a better alternative than sendmail, and there
weren't that many choices.