Enhanced Logrotate from Suse

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 31 21:31:43 UTC 2003

/usr/sbin/logrotate is the program that moves and renames files in
/var/log.  On Redhat systems, it typically does this by numbering and
renumbering - messages becomes messages.1, .1 becomes .2, etc.  This
makes life difficult for rsync backups, which saves each copy of each
renumbered file.

Ruediger Oertel at Suse (ro at suse.de) has some patches that enhance the
basic Redhat Logrotate with "dateext".  This allows a dated extension
rather than a numbered one, i.e. messages.29102003 .  The old logfiles
do not get renamed, just discarded after they get too old.  This is a
lot easier on rsync, and it also is easier to administer.

Ruediger's patches do not change the current logrotate behavior, just
adds the new features.  His patch to logrotate 3.6.10 can be found at:

  ftp.suse.com/pub/people/ro/logrotate

Suse has been making these patches to RH logrotate for years, and I've
been running versions of their code for a few weeks while still using
the old logrotate method for testing.  It would be nice to fold this
into the main line of fedora/redhat and eliminate a needless code fork.
Who do I talk to in order to make this happen?

Keith

BTW, this is the third attempt at sending this, though perhaps the
first clueful attempt ... :-)

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993