Interesting article on boot ordering

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 00:10:38 UTC 2003

Hi,

Some UI goals to keep in mind for reworking bootup include:

 - making the boot fast
 - almost as useful though, getting to a login prompt as soon as
     possible; so if we can continue some stuff in the background
     while the user logs in, that's almost the same as just getting
     rid of it from a timing standpoint
 - graphical display showing progress (with optional way to get at
     the detailed technical messages, of course)

It seems like a lot of people still don't love how rhgb works (including
people at Red Hat). Seth Nickell is apparently working on some alternate
approach based on how OS X works:
http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/Much_Work____Time_Flies
but he didn't post code yet so I don't know if it's interesting.

Some people at Red Hat have also been playing with profiling the boot
process recently, maybe they could post any insights from that.

Havoc