RSH Tools

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Thu Sep 4 19:48:04 UTC 2003

> I think you've hit the nail on the head with #1, I hear a lot of large
> enterprise shops tell me "the documented standard says rsh || the
> application vendor told me i had to have rsh", and all the technical
> documentation in the world can't change their minds. I usually make them
> aware of the security implications of plaintext transmissions, and let
> them play with their toys.

To add to your comment, if you actually do convince them that trading keys
between machines and using rsh->ssh, you're the first one them blame when
something goes wrong. Quite frankly that sucks.

What is RedHat's customer experience when they have done stuff like
"masquerade" one app as another? IOW: Add a little code so that ssh is
aware of $0 and acts accordingly. At least that could start forcing the
migration path.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com