RSH Tools

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Sep 5 14:58:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Chuck Wolber wrote:
>
> > 1) Users who can't or won't change?
>
> Think high performance computing clusters.  It's faster
> to start a remote job using rsh than using ssh.

One thing that might help there is if OpenSSH had a null cipher like
commercial SSH.com SSH does. You'd still get secure authentication (using
public key exchange), but then use no encryption for the data transfer once
connected. There are patches floating around for OpenSSH for this,
though they're not very current (or weren't last time I looked)....

For another large-environment advantage of rprotocols, they work with krb5,
while ssh requires patching for GSSAPI support.

later,
chris