Argument list too long.

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Sep 8 03:12:25 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm wondering if option 4 from the following article

	Linux Journal: "Argument list too long": Beyond Arguments and Limitations

could be done for the Red Hat kernel (or the vanilla kernel) and if not,
what the objections are.

Linux Journal suggests to increase the MAX_ARG_PAGES from 32 to 64
pages in include/linux/binfmts.h:

	/*
	 * MAX_ARG_PAGES defines the number of pages allocated for   arguments
	 * and envelope for the new program. 32 should suffice, this gives
	 * a maximum env+arg of 128kB w/4KB pages!
	 */
	#define MAX_ARG_PAGES 32

I'm not in favor to increase it to 64 per se, but at least something
higher than 32 (as I've already come across this boundary at several
occassions where the only solution was to work around it in a bad way).

Maybe make it system dependent or even dynamically changeable.

Kind regards,