CD burning with Nautilus, was: Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:44:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind is that "the major Windows cd burning
> applications" are competing with each other to have more features, even
> if the feature really doesn't belong there, it helps you look more
> impressive in the magazine review checklist.

But of course that cuts both ways. One can just as easily say the same thing
about music players as an explanation for why, say, iTunes can burn CDs but
shouldn't....

> We have a certain freedom to do things in the right place that someone
> writing a CD burning application for Windows doesn't have.

Sure, but why is a music player the right place to burn audio CDs? Why isn't
a CD burning application the right place? To me, the data content is
irrelevant, and it's very counter-intuitive to think that I would use an
audio player to burn CDs. Otherwise, by the same logic I should use my email
program to archive my emails to CD, and my IM client to archive my messages,
and vi to archive my text files, and my....

later,
chris