Interface start-up ordering sequence, multiple passes?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Sep 11 18:50:30 UTC 2003

Hi,

When designing an IPv6 extension to initscripts, we came across this one
particularly knotty problem.

There seem to be no way to select the order in which the interfaces would
be brought up by e.g. "network start", except by naming hacks.  (There are
also this, nowadays smaller, problem of on-demand dial-up interfaces..)

There seems to be no facility to run a script "in the second pass" i.e.,
after all the interfaces have been brought up.

Both of these facilities would seem to be useful, espcially being able to
say "run these commands after interface X has been brought up".

Have I missed something, or is this impossible at the moment (without
gluing more stuff in init.d/network)?  Would such mechanisms be useful in
other contexts as well?

(This could be achieved, it seems, at least by using an '/sbin/ifup xxx
2ndpass' argument, and only specified commands would be run when doing the
second pass.)

Thoughts, ideas, comments?