Interface start-up ordering sequence, multiple passes?

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Sep 12 14:55:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:08:25AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> What you _could_, in theory, do is make ifup-local check that if the
> device is _eth1_, then do some operations on eth0.  But that's IMHO just
> way too kludgy approach, which assumes too much knowledge of the system in
> question.. and you want to be generic.
>
> What _might_ work is is having some system in init.d/network, so that
> first 'ifup $device boot' would be run for all the devices, and soon one
> would run 'ifup $device 2ndphase' for all the devices (the most of which
> don't do anything).
A related issue that might be possible to solve simultaneously is
having support for ifuping devices in the background. This is useful
if it's not certain how long it'll take or if it's possible to get the
interface up at all (my PPPoE :-) ). I ended up doing
a /sbin/ifup ppp0 &  in rc.local, which is a bit hacky but works well
enough.

Of course, some services need to run after ppp0 is up (ntpdate), which
causes some extra complications... I think there was some fancy framework
for simultaneous startup of different services in rawhide at some point, but
I could never figure out how to make it do anything useful :-)

--
Pekka Pietikainen