UML project for Cambridge++ (update 2)

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 22:39:56 UTC 2003

Here is another "weekly" update, only 2 weeks late.

The uml kernel should soon be usable under severn (more details are
below), so we should be able to start work or other issues such as kernel
configuration and packaging, and uml installation shortly. I have also
started a yum repository, currently it contains a kernel-utils package
with updated uml tools.

	Michael Young

UML project site: http://toast.debian.net/~may/umlproject/

UML kernel status
-----------------

I understand the problem which causes uml kernels to crash under a severn
host kernel, and this will hopefully be fixed in the main uml patches
shortly. See
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3110830&forum_id=3648
for details of the problem.

The crash of a uml kernel when running under a 2.6 host kernel in tt mode
is fixed in the main 2.4 uml patches (from 2.4.22-2um onwards), and will
hopefully be fixed in 2.6 soon.

The problems with tls in the uml image are still there, and will probably
remain at least until someone writes set_thread_area and get_thread_area
syscalls for uml, but hiding /lib/tls in the uml image works around the
problem for now.

In addition, networking is fixed in the 2.6.0.test5-1 uml patch, though
modules are still broken.