Red Hat 9 cannot be installed on 3.2 GB hard disk?

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at netscape.net
Wed Sep 17 08:49:48 UTC 2003

Hello all.

I think nobody have tested installing Red Hat 9 on 3.2 GB hard disk.

Last week, I tried to install Red Hat Linux 9 on Winchip 200 machine with 64 MB RAM and 3.2 GB hard disk. The installation step went well. At the stage of selecting the installation option, I select Server and continue. The server installation is about 1.4 GB, and it went well until after transferring install image to hard disk.

As soon as the transferring install image to hard disk complete, error message is displayed stating that my machine does not have enough disk space.

I reboot again the computer, starting again the installation, but this time selecting Custom and then uncheck all the group listed. The installation size is now around 550 MB, and then transferring install image continued. Still after completing transferring install image to hard disk, error message being displayed stating that the machine does not have enough disk space.

Re-installing the machine with Red Hat 8 yesterday, it went smooth even though I select Server with installation size of 1.4 GB. I really suspect the transferring image is the problem.

My HD partitioning info is:
/boot 100 MB
/swap 200 MB
/     2.9 GB

My question:
1. Why this thing happened? Does anybody have any experience with it?
2. Why it is still fail even though the installation size is 500 MB?
3. Should I report it on Bugzilla?
4. Could I suggest that anaconda have another option like "Minimal install" where nothing is installed, except the base package just to run Linux

Thank you.