Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 16:53:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:18, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> What will happen from now on? Shall we use Red Hat Linux 10 or Fedora
> Linux bla bla?

There is no Red Hat Linux 10. There's the Fedora Project, with Fedora
Core that contains a base Linux distribution; this is an open source
project. Then there is Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is a product of
Red Hat, Inc. RHEL  has various versions (WS, ES, AS) for different
applications.

This table attempts to summarize the difference between our operating
system products and the Fedora Project:
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html

Red Hat will be doing a lot of development and other work on the Fedora
Project, but it's not a product that you can buy from us. We're working
on the Fedora Project in the same way that we work on other projects
such as Mozilla or the Linux kernel.

>  Why will Red Hat will "not" support Fedora Core?

You probably want to be clear about what "support" means to you.
Which row of the above table. Then we can answer your question better.

Many of the table rows interact. In particular, the long release cycle
and reduced package set of RHEL enable many of its other attributes
(such as certifications, longer update lifetime, etc.).

Havoc