Interesting article on boot ordering

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Sep 23 21:23:57 UTC 2003

notting at redhat.com (Bill Nottingham) writes:

>> > You're confusing me here; since when are glib2 and sysklogd
>> > prerequsites of SysVinit?
>>
>> Most -sysv initscripts are using the /etc/init.d/functions file which
>> is part of the 'initscripts' package which has these prerequsites.
>
> Point, although those aren't specifically required by
> /etc/init.d/functions.

No; they are caused by SysVinit -> pam relationships.

> (*A* syslog daemon is, though...

"*A* syslog daemon" would mean

| Conflicts: sysklogd < 1.3.31
| Requires: syslog-daemon

but not

| Requires: sysklogd >= 1.3.31

;)

> No, it's still an issue of providing the user with three separate init
> systems, and expecting them to make sense of them. ... For something
> like an init system, I'd think the required featureset is small enough
> that you should be able to only need one system.

Ok; you have the choice between:

minit ... fast and reliable
sysv  ... widely used for years
lsb   ... you can put a "LSB compliant" sticker on your machine

>> There is LSB support in rhl-initscripts which can be dropped? ;)
>
> Yes, been there since 7.3...

Mmmh, must be well hidden. E.g. the LSB return codes, 'lsb_start_daemon'
instead of 'daemon', or the dependencies. ;)

Enrico