Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Wed Sep 24 03:48:56 UTC 2003

> And why wouldn't such elsewhere be the Fedora Project?  If you want to
> support it yourself, you (and others in this business) may get together
> and keep issuing errata for releases deployed to your customers for as
> long as you like.

An industry consortium. Such a simple idea. I find myself slapping my
forehead and asking why I didn't think of that... Ummm, probably because
the devil is certaintly in the details. But what the heck, it's worth an
attempt.

I've started a mailing list to continue on with this line of thinking.
IMHO it's most likely to be geared to those companies, integrators and
consultants who have a vested interest in a RHEL type OS lifetime for
Fedora (or whatever RH OSs we want to support). Keep in mind, though we'd
simply be doing this in an effort to pool our resources, there's no reason
why we have to offer the fruits of our labors to the rest of the world for
*FREE*. A nominal fee over thousands of users adds up quickly...

> Then, if some customer really wants support from Red Hat, you can add
> RHEL to the package, since it's likely to integrate easily.

Indeed. Sounds like a great synergy... if it works...

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com